Skip to main content

NY Times admits it sends stories to US government for approval before publication

The New York Times casually acknowledged that it sends major scoops to the US government before publication, to make sure “national security officials” have “no concerns.”

by Ben Norton

Part 3 - NY Times editors ‘quite willing to cooperate with the government’

The symbiotic relationship between the US corporate media and the government has been known for some time. American intelligence agencies play the press like a musical instrument, using it it to selectively leak information at opportune moments to push US soft power and advance Washington’s interests.

But rarely is this symbiotic relationship so casually and publicly acknowledged.

In 2018, former New York Times reporter James Risen published a 15,000-word article in The Intercept providing further insight into how this unspoken alliance operates.

Risen detailed how his editors had been “quite willing to cooperate with the government.” In fact, a top CIA official even told Risen that his rule of thumb for approving a covert operation was, “How will this look on the front page of the New York Times?

There is an “informal arrangement” between the state and the press, Risen explained, where US government officials “regularly engaged in quiet negotiations with the press to try to stop the publication of sensitive national security stories.

At the time, I usually went along with these negotiations,” the former New York Times reported said. He recalled an example of a story he was writing on Afghanistan just prior to the September 11, 2001 attacks. Then-CIA Director George Tenet called Risen personally and asked him to kill the story.

He told me the disclosure would threaten the safety of the CIA officers in Afghanistan,” Risen said. “I agreed.

Risen said he later questioned whether or not this was the right decision. “If I had reported the story before 9/11, the CIA would have been angry, but it might have led to a public debate about whether the United States was doing enough to capture or kill bin Laden,” he wrote. “That public debate might have forced the CIA to take the effort to get bin Laden more seriously.

This dilemma led Risen to reconsider responding to US government requests to censor stories. “And that ultimately set me on a collision course with the editors at the New York Times,” he said.

After the 9/11 attacks, the Bush administration began asking the press to kill stories more frequently,” Risen continued. “They did it so often that I became convinced the administration was invoking national security to quash stories that were merely politically embarrassing.

In the lead-up to the Iraq War, Risen frequently “clashed” with Times editors because he raised questions about the US government’s lies. But his stories “stories raising questions about the intelligence, particularly the administration’s claims of a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, were being cut, buried, or held out of the paper altogether.

The Times’ executive editor Howell Raines “was believed by many at the paper to prefer stories that supported the case for war,” Risen said.

In another anecdote, the former Times journalist recalled a scoop he had uncovered on a botched CIA plot. The Bush administration got wind of it and called him to the White House, where then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice ordered the Times to bury the story.

Risen said Rice told him “to forget about the story, destroy my notes, and never make another phone call to discuss the matter with anyone.

The Bush administration was successfully convincing the press to hold or kill national security stories,” Risen wrote. And the Barack Obama administration subsequently accelerated the “war on the press.

Source, links:


[1] [2] [4]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GAME OVER, Trump: Putin, China & BRICS Just CRUSHED US Dollar

Danny Haiphong   Donald Trump's war on BRICS is backfiring as the Russia & China-led Global South moves to dump the US dollar and build a new order independent of its dictates. Journalist and geopolitical analyst Ben Norton breaks it all down.    Related: Trump's tariffs: A unique opportunity for BRICS and the Global South to fully escape from dollar tyranny

UN Official: Gaza Is The Worst CRIME Of The CENTURY

Owen Jones  

THIS IS NOT A DRILL (w/ Roger Waters)

The Chris Hedges YouTube Channel   Co-founder of the legendary rock group Pink Floyd Roger Waters discusses the genocide in Gaza, the deterioration of the West and his new movie on this episode of The Chris Hedges Report .  

How China & Russia help Global South countries defend against US imperialism: Nicaragua explains

Geopolitical Economy Report   China and Russia help formerly colonized countries in the Global South defend their sovereignty amid constant US meddling and aggression, argues Daniel Ortega, President of Nicaragua, a Latin American country that has been invaded and militarily occupied by the USA multiple times. Ben Norton reports on the history of the Sandinista Revolution, and the struggle against Western imperialism.  

X of the day

US Empire and its vassel State Israel can't stop telling lies. And neither can stop committing War Crimes... https://t.co/jQjwc2MUH0 — Mick Wallace (@wallacemick) August 1, 2025

Jeremy Corbyn Interview: Why We Launched Your Party

Owen Jones  

American youth are turning on Israel, left and right

The Grayzone   The Grayzone 's Max Blumenthal on the total collapse of support for Israel among young American progressives, and the crisis Israel faces for the first time among conservative youth. 

Jeremy Corbyn: Gaza, Nuclear War & Why Movements Must Rise Now

Empire Files   Abby Martin sits down with MP Jeremy Corbyn in Bogotá during The Hague Group summit on Gaza. They discuss the limits of electoral politics, the danger of nuclear weapons, the central role of the US and UK in the Gaza genocide, and more.  

Israel Shipped in Holidaymakers – Greece Shipped Them Out Again

KernowDamo   We'll fight them on the beaches took on new meaning as an Israeli cruise ship got sent packing in the latest Greek port stand-off!   Earlier this week, the Aegean island of Syros became an unexpected front line in the global movement against Israel’s war on Gaza. A cruise ship, the Crown Iris, carrying approximately 1,600 Israeli tourists, approached the island’s main port expecting a typical summer welcome. Instead, hundreds of Greek islanders lined the waterfront with banners, Palestinian flags, and chants of defiance. “Stop the Genocide” echoed across the harbour as a human blockade formed, preventing passengers from disembarking. After hours of tense standoff, the ship was forced to change course and head toward Cyprus instead, its tourists trapped aboard as unwilling symbols of growing European outrage against Israel’s military campaign. This was no spontaneous protest, it was an organised act of solidarity, a statement that business-as-usual tourism, even on...

X of the day

Palestinian statehood is not a bargaining chip. It is not a threat. It is an inalienable right of the Palestinian people. Our demands on this shameful government remain the same: end all arms sales to Israel, impose widespread sanctions, and stop the genocide, now. — Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn) July 29, 2025